Don’t get lost in the information sea!
Technology evolves fast. And iOS App Development is now exception. There are constantly new releases regarding best practices, tools, APIs and all sorts of changes. Keeping up with this is time consuming and, usually, counter productive. That is why we decided to create this round-up. To help you, the iOS App Developer, to organize and decide what is worth reading and what can safely be ignored!
If you feel like we are missing some important reference, leave a comment and tell us what it is!
- 01. Apple Resources on Swift.
- 02. Apple Resources on iOS Libraries
- 03. Other Resources on Swift
- 04. Other resources on iOS Libraries
- 05. Backend as a Service
- 06. Everything else
Apple Resources on Swift
- Start developing iOS Apps with Swift: a step-by-step tutorial with many basic concepts.
- The Swift Programming Language: a complete Language Guide and Language Reference.
- iOS Human Interface Guidelines: The most important UI/UX reference for app developers.
- Sample Code: many different examples on how to accomplish different tasks and/or effects.
- WWDC Videos: technical videos that showcase and talk about several Apple technologies.
- Integrating Swift and Objective-C: A WWDC video, you must use Safari to watch it though.
Apple Resources on iOS Libraries
- What’s new in iOS 9: this is the version specific document, if you want you can see the whole changelog.
- UIKit: all the myriad of documents available to developers. Classes details and usage examples.
- UIKit Framework Reference: a very interesting overview regarding the UIKit framework.
- UIView Class Reference: you’re bound to hit this one sooner or later. All the details we could hope for.
- Auto Layout Guide: Auto Layout can be a nightmare without the proper knowledge. A must-read.
- UITouch Class Reference: learn how to implement 3d Touch on iOS devices.
Other Resources on Swift
- Functional Programming with Swift: mathematical style functions, immutability and expressiveness using Swift.
- Data Structures and Algorithms: optionals, generics, set, arrays, dictionaries practically applied through algorithms.
- Closure Syntax: cut corners. Get usage examples and spot-on explanations about closures.
- Convert Objective-C to Swift: not everyone is used to Objective-C’s syntax, garbage collection and pointers.
- Swift CheatSheet: a quick reference on most used datatypes, control flow and variable declaring. Includes Swift 2.0.
- High Order Functions: Filter, Map, Reduce and more!
Other Resources on iOS Libraries
- Basic UI View Animation: Fade in and Fade out, rotations and all sorts of trickery. Get started with this basic tutorial.
- iOS Animations: Learn about prototyping iOS animations. Step-by-step tutorial.
- UIKit Fundamentals: a free course by Udacity. Get comfortable with the most common usages of the framework.
- Introduction to UIKit: if you’re new to the MVC (Model/View/Controller) concept, this is a great starting point.
- Trending Github Repos: The Swift/iOS community is really active, get code samples, inspirations and much more.
What are your favorite resources? Did we miss anything? Help us build a complete and overwhelmingly awesome list by sharing your knowledge in the comments section 🙂